Woonsocket man charged with kidnapping, sexual assault

Woonsocket man charged with kidnapping, sexual assault

WOONSOCKET – A Woonsocket man is being held without bail after he was charged with kidnapping and raping a woman over a period of several weeks.

Francisco Dias, 48, was arrested at his Providence Street apartment Wednesday after police received reports he had been holding a 19-year-old victim against her will since Dec. 20.

According to a police report, Dias tried to flee out a side door when police arrived with a search warrant around noon. After arresting Dias, police searched the apartment, seizing ammunition, drug paraphernalia and more than $1,600 in cash.

According to the report, the victim told police she “was in such fear from him and his threats and the fact that he had a gun that she could not bring herself to attempt to escape.” Police had previously gone to the house to look for her with her father, but Dias told her “to go out the side door and hide,” according to the report. The victim told police she was too afraid to try and run away.

According to Deputy Police Chief Michael Lemoine, police acted on a tip from the victim’s father. The suspect, he said, had a lengthy record with police, including domestic assault, DUI, possession of narcotics, breaking and entering and failing to appear in court.

The victim, he said, also had prior contacts with police, including an obstruction of justice charge from 2019. It was a warrant for her arrest, he said, that allowed police to remove her from the house.

“We had the warrant, so we were able to get her out of there,” he said.

Dias was charged with 17 counts of sexual assault, one count of kidnapping, four counts of simple assault, one count of felony assault with a dangerous weapon and one count of unlawful possession of a weapon.