NP man sentenced to nine years in prison

NP man sentenced to nine years in prison

PROVIDENCE – Attorney General Peter Neronha announced that a North Providence man was sentenced last week in Providence County Superior Court to serve nine years at the Adult Correctional Institutions after pleading to drug distribution charges stemming from a long-term, court-authorized wiretap investigation into incidents of drug trafficking and violent crime.

Luis Munoz Mercado, 27, pleaded no contest to a total of 30 counts: three counts of possession with intent to deliver fentanyl, three counts of possession with intent to deliver between one ounce and one kilogram of fentanyl, one count of delivery of fentanyl, and multiple counts of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute fentanyl and cocaine.

At a hearing on Feb. 17, before Superior Court Justice Kristin Rodgers, the court sentenced Munoz Mercado to 20 years at the ACI, with nine years to serve and the balance of the sentence suspended with probation.

“This office and our partners in law enforcement continue to prioritize the investigation and prosecution of significant drug trafficking organizations,” said Neronha in a statement. “The defendant was a major player in just such an organization, and his lengthy sentence is warranted by the scope and scale of his drug distribution activity. I am grateful to our federal and state law enforcement partners for their excellent work on this time-intensive, complex investigation and prosecution.”

Had the case proceeded to trial, prosecutors said they were prepared to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that between April 5, 2019 and July 1, 2019, Munoz Mercado made frequent drug transactions, including deliveries of fentanyl, cocaine and oxycodone in his Dodge Charger Hellcat and from his place of business, Mamby’s Barbershop on Hartford Avenue in Providence.