Memorial Day Parade off, but honors will proceed

Memorial Day Parade off, but honors will proceed

NORTH PROVIDENCE – The town will not hold its annual Memorial Day Parade due to a lack of proper planning time, says Mayor Charles Lombardi, but officials will still mark the May 31 holiday by honoring fallen soldiers with a wreath, and are asking the public to be part of that effort.

For Memorial Day, Lombardi and the town will place the memorial wreath in front of Town Hall along with the names of those residents who have served in the military and have since died. They are requesting that if anyone would like to have the name of a deceased loved one included in the display to submit the name by email to recdirector@northprovidenceri.gov or by calling 401-719-1633 by May 19.

By the time leaders were notified last week that they could go ahead and plan the parade with 3-foot social distancing in place, Lombardi said it was too late to start inviting people to be part of the parade.

Lombardi noted how he and his administration have started many community events, including the parade, saying it will be disappointing not to have it. Its cancellation means the first big post-pandemic event to be held for residents will be the July 4 fireworks spectacular at Notte Park on the eve of July 4, with the display booked and ready to go. The rain date for that event is July 5.